Photography By: Madison Bamert Photography http://www.madisonbamert.com/blog/

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Celebrating Dr. Seuss

Maybe it is the teacher in me, but I just love Dr. Seuss and I have always enjoyed celebrating his birthday. When I taught we celebrated him and his books all month. Now I love that I get to read and recreate some of his books with my own children. Rylan seems to have a love of reading (which I am so grateful for) so he really loved making and doing activities that went along with some of our favorite Dr. Seuss books.
One Fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish
We made a fishbowl full of fish, easiest thing.  I of course found it on pintrest and then realized it is a blog I ealready follow.
Green Eggs and Ham
This was easy and classic. I didn't have ham so toast and strawberries accompanied our green eggs.
Some of you may not like green scrambled eggs (Tyson didn't like the looks of them), so you can always just die boiled eggs. Plus this gave Ry and I a little practice for Easter.
Bartholomew and the Oobleck
We made oobleck, it is easy, and most of the ingredients you probably already have in your pantry.
Rylan played with it maybe 10 minutes. I played with it all day.
The Lorax
This took some thinking from Momma. I found a cute idea on pintrest but never made it to a store that had the supplies needed. So I brainstormed and came up with my own Truffula tree's. 

Our Truffula Tree Method:   Ry cut straws to the height he desired for four Truffula trees. I then let him choose three colors for the trees, he chose green, pink, and purple (I did my best to create those colors using water and food coloring). Then we put four cotton balls in the bowls of colored water, took them out drained them, and placed them on a paper towel to dry out.  I had Ry paint a paper plate. We used the same method from the the fishbowl, cornstarch and food coloring for the blue sky and the green grass. Now once you paint it on you have to move fast, so have all your other supplies ready. I simply let Ry pick the locations of the trees/straws, and then he chose where to put the leaves/cotton balls of the Truffula trees.

I am motivated to try and find more activities to go along with more of our books now. If you have ideas please leave your blog or comments.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh I love all your Dr Seuss activities!!! Ry is lucky his momma has a teacher's heart and loves that kind of stuff too! :)

    ReplyDelete